By Gary Jason
Read Online or Download Dangerous Thoughts: Provocative Writings on Contemporary Issues PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
First released in 1999. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
The yankee theorists: Henry James, Lionel Trilling and Wayne C. sales space have revolutionized our realizing of narrative and feature each one championed the unconventional as an paintings shape. strategies from their paintings became a part of the material of novel feedback this present day, influencing theorists, authors and readers alike.
Concentrating on eighteenth-century structures of symbolic femininity and eighteenth-century women's writing with regards to modern utopian discourse, this quantity adjusts our knowing of the utopia of the Enlightenment, putting a distinct emphasis on colonial utopias. those essays think of concerns relating to particular configurations of utopias and utopianism by means of contemplating intimately English and French texts through either girls (Sarah Scott, Sarah Fielding, Isabelle de Charrière) and males (Paltock and Montesquieu).
This e-book examines the ways in which Classical and Renaissance epic poems frequently paintings opposed to their expressed ethical and political values. It combines a proper and tropological research that stresses distinction and disjunction with a political research of the epic's figurative financial system. It bargains an interpretation of 3 epic poems - Homer's Iliad, Virgil's Aeneid, and Spencer's Faerie Queene - that makes a speciality of the way in which those texts make obvious the classy, ethical, and political distinction that constitutes them, and sketches, in end, substitute resolutions of such department in Milton's Paradise misplaced and Cervantes' Don Quixote, an 'epic' in prose.
- The Aesthetics and Politics of the Crowd in American Literature (Cambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture)
- The Virtues of the Vicious: Jacob Riis, Stephen Crane and the Spectacle of the Slum
- Challenging the Bard: Dostoevsky and Pushkin, a Study of Literary Relationship (Publications of the Wisconsin Center for Pushkin Studies)
- The Emperor Redressed: Critiquing Critical Theory
- Other Country: Barry Lopez and the Community of Artists
- Taking sides in Ronald Harwood's "Taking Sides"
Extra info for Dangerous Thoughts: Provocative Writings on Contemporary Issues