What have been some lessons you've learnt from times where you can reflect on poor communication skills?
- Trying to coach/speak in a style that wasn't natural
- Take the time to find your own style that you are comfortable with
- Think about the person receiving the information - speak to them in their language
- Body language and dress (uniforms) - Nike Basketball kit for football project!
- Practice - you have to figure out which situations you struggle with (individuals, small groups, large teams, conferences etc) - You're Hired - Nick Grantham
Linchpin - Seth Godin
How does your language change in relation to what group/athlete you work with?
- Learn to mirror the person you're working with - need to be 'socially smart' - chameleon
- Each sport has it's own language/dress code/traditions (DH MTB call - 'gnarly' 'sweet' - wife looking at me!) - you need to fit in.
- Thinkers, Doers, Emotional - some wan't facts, some just want to crack on, some need to appeal to their emotions
How should we deal with different people/personalities?
Support & Delivery
Can you discuss some of the instances you've seen coaches make mistakes when presenting information to athletes/coaches/teams?
- Designing programmes that appeal to my colleagues but make no sense to the athlete/coach!
- Fitness testing data and results feedback that resembles an undergraduate dissertation
Can you discuss the importance of active listening and understanding other people's situations?
- How To Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie - one of the biggest influences for me in understanding the other persons perspective
- We need to have more humility - we do not have all of the answers - the athlete/coach know way more than we do about their sport etc.
- Map of the world - we need to be able to look at map from the other persons view.
- How do we be precise with what we wish to deliver?
- Preparation - planning is the key, scripts, rehearsals
Creating & Changing Culture
How can we smoothly get integrated into a team environment?
- Are you Batman or Alfred? Superhero's sort things quickly but normally leave a trail of destruction behind them
- The First 90 Days - Michael D Watkins
- Daily trust project - athletes and coaches have to trust you before they will work with you...that will take time
- Engage > Connect > Adjust
Can you discuss how you would approach working in challenging environments?
- The Obstacle Is The Way and The Daily Stoic - Ryan Holiday
- Pig Wrestling - Pete Lindsay and Mark Bawden
- Take a step back
- Think cleanly
- What has been tried so far - what do these solutions have in common
- How would I know this is no longer a problem
- When is this problem not a problem
- What has to be present to make this problem occur
- What's the difference between when this problem happens and when it doesn't
How should we impose our philosophies on a team/athlete?
- We shouldn't think about 'imposing' - To Sell Is Human - Daniel H Pink - we essentially are trying to get people to do things they don't want to do...we need to understand what motivates them
- Positive pollution - find things they already do/believe in - work that into your plans
- Make it their idea - lead from the shadows and be comfortable with others taking credit
- Think Small - Owain Service and Rory Gallagher - normative changes and nudges